Saturday

Howie Young

NHL president Clarence Campbell called Howie Young “"the worst detriment to the NHL to ever lace up a pair of skates." Frank Sinatra simply called him “Howie baby.”

Raised by his grandparents in what is now southeast Toronto, Howie was blessed with natural athleticism. He wanted to be a cowboy like his idol, John Wayne, until he saw his first game at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Despite the fact he was an alcoholic by age fifteen, his play and ferocious style attracted NHL scouts and at 18 he was invited to Canadiens' training camp. Unfortunately, his hard partying ways left him hung over and sick and the Habs sent him home.

He played first in the OHL, then for the QMJHL Chicoutimit Sagueneens, where he racked up 180 PIM in 50 games. After that, he played one season for the WHL New Westminster Royals. He saw little action with them, playing only four games. Finally after two seasons in the AHL and 330 PIM, Young broke into the Detroit Red Wings lineup for the 1960-61 season.

His crushing bodychecks and fast, smart play helped Detroit to the 1961 Staley Cup Finals, and in 1962-63, compiled a then-record 273 penalties in 64 games. The same year, he made the cover of Sports Illustrated, despite being extremely hungover at the photo shoot.

By this time, Young had been arrested several times for public drunkeness. Despite his winning smile and gregarious personality, his life was going downhill quickly. The Red Wings had run out of patience, and sent him to the Blackhawks, who had even less patience. After only 39 games, they traded him to the WHL Los Angeles Blades while retaining his NHL rights.

While playing for the Blades, Frank Sinatra called. Impressed by Young's good looks, Sinatra wanted the troubled hockey player to play a combat Marine in his movie None But the Brave. Young departed the team for the shoot in Hawaii, remaining drunk or hungover the entire time.

"Wild Thing" returned to the Blades, but his life was finally reaching its nadir in May 1965. His second marriage falling apart, he woke up in an L.A. jail cell after being arrested yet again. This time, he had been trying to break into his own apartment. Sitting in the jail cell, he vowed to get sober. Two days later, he joined AA.

“On the bench I would say, 'Please God, just get me through this game,' “ said Young, looking back. “Then it was, 'Hey, God, just get me through this period.' Finally, it was, 'God, just get me through this shift.' “

Sober and working to regain his fitness, he once again attracted the attention of the Red Wings, who brought him back for the 1966-67 season and posted a +16 in 1967-68. A reporter asked Gordie Howe what he thought of Young's transformation, to which Howe replied “He's still going around in circles – but different circles.”

Despite his remarkable turnaround, the Wings let Young go once again. He bounced around the WHL and AHL, spending the 1968-69 season with the Blackhawks and the 1970-71 season with the Canucks.

After several more years in the minor leagues, Young made one final major league appearance in the WHA with the Phoenix Roadrunners and Winnipeg Jets for the 1974-77 seasons. Three years later, he quit hockey and worked in the Southwest United states, doing everything from washing dishes to truck driving.

After a brief comeback, first with the IHL Flint Spirits and then ACHL New York Slapshots, he finally settled in New Mexico with his partner, China. In the predominately Navajo town of Thoreau, he owned a ranch and drove school buses, fulfilling his dream of being a cowboy. He also became active in the community, trying to raise money for a town rink, and his goal was to nurture the NHL's first Navajo player. “These kids are such natural athletes. All I've got to do is bring the ice, and they'll do the rest.”

Young died of pancreatic cancer on November 26, 1999 at age 62.

Howie Young is another example of a good hockey player ruined by personal demons. However unlike the John Kordics and Steve Durbanos of the world, Young could have really been somebody.

Jack Adams, the former Detroit Red Wing general manager, once described Young as having a "chance to become a second Eddie Shore."

"He could have been in the Hall of Fame," said Mike Nardella, a long time Blackhawks trainer "Howie could skate backward better than most could skate forward."

Jack Adams, the former Detroit Red Wing general manager, once described Young as having a "chance to become a second Eddie Shore."

10 comments:

Smoke 3:56 PM  

I remember watching Howie Young play for the Phoenix Roadrunners. He was something to see. I wish he could have gotten his demons under control because, as good as he was, it's sad to think of how good he could have been.

Anonymous,  2:54 PM  

I played intermural hockey with Howie at St. Mike's College in 1950-51. He was twice as good as anyone else, but as he was a transfer from another school, he was ineligible for a school team. At 14, he used to sneak out after dark and shoot pool all night on Yonge Street. Great guy, though - we all loved him..!!!

Anonymous,  7:07 PM  

I use to buy him cigarettes when he was racing at manzanita speedway in Phoenix. He sucked at racing but loved it

Kukler 3:08 PM  

I got to know Howie when I was invited to training camp for the Phoenix Roadrunners for the 71-72 season. We had a long conversation about life and how it is lived during a commute from Tuscon to Phoenix, it was very interesting and I will never forget it.

I had left soon after the season started and joined the Navy, and lost touch with Howie, but I have always had great respect for him as a person and his accomplishments.

LuAnne Grant,  1:15 PM  

I first met Howie Young in Chicago 1963. These were alcohol ridden times. All the cops knew Howie, but also treated him with respect. I rescued him a number of times. Married friend of mine
(2nd marriage). Ran into them again when I moved to Phx, around 1968 or so. They had both quit drinking. Last time I saw Howie was 1977. Lost touch and I sure regret it. He made a big impact upon my life. Also, he and Raellyn spent time at my childhood home in Indiana after doing None But the Brave. I read the script. He was so special. I will never forget him!!!!!

Anonymous,  8:59 PM  

I can't say I knew Howie, he had a few years on me but we did grow up in the same area and around the same time period. I remember this almost mythical reputation Howie had which I am certain was greatly exaggerated. I do know we were all scared to death of him. One rumor had it that when Howie played baseball he didn't bother to slide into base he just ran in with his fist out. Despite all the kid trash talk there is no question about it Howie had a gift and its a shame he had those demons to contend with - no telling what he could have accomplished had it not been for his struggle with alcohol. Rest in peace Howie!

Paris Bebe Fabrics 2:09 PM  

Visit Howie's facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Howie-Young/277654812488

CrackerJack,  2:06 PM  

Didn't know Howie personally but he was a Blackhawk and I saw him play.. What I remember most about him was how good looking a guy he was. Really looked good on the ice and of course tough as nails. Just looked at the 1963-1964 Blackhawk team photo I have in my little office here and he's in it, middle row 3rd from right between Al McNeil and Eric Nesterenko.. Those were the days..Just a shame he had those demons, because he had it all going for himself... Reminds me of one of my all time favorites, Bob Probert..!

Anonymous,  10:39 AM  

I played organized roller hockey, for many years, in my youth... I cherished the Howie Young front cover of sports illustrated, and emulated him for a short period (not in the drinking department). At around 11 or 12 years old, as a defenseman, I planted a firm elbow into an older boy, almost twice my size...I knocked him down, and he slowly got up.....He simply said " don't ever do that again," and I didn't, lol.....but Howie's tough style of play was fun to watch, even though I cut out certain aspects of his style, in my playing......I still miss him........

Les young Leger,  3:23 PM  

HOWIE AND I BECAME FRINDS INSTANTLY WHEN HE MOVED TO LOS ANGELES I TOOK HIM TO MANY AA MEETINGS AND FISHING. WHEVER HE WENT HE SEEMED TO KNOW PEOPLE OR THEY KNEW HIM. HE WAS A CHERISHED FRIEND FOR OVER 25 TWENTY FIVE YEARS. I REALLY LIKED HIM AND CARED ABOUT HIM, HE WAS THE BEST ATHLETE I EVER MET. HE WAS GOOD AT EVERYTHING HE TOUCHED. I MISS HIM A LOT. LES YOUNG LEGER

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP